It took all the way up to the deadline, but ESPN reported this afternoon that Battle will be back at Cuse in the fall.
Update (11:30): Tyus Battle told ESPN’s Jonathan Givony that he had submitted his paperwork and will officially return to Syracuse for the 2018-19 season.
Just spoke with Tyus Battle after his Pro Day. He confirmed the earlier reports. "I'm going back to Syracuse," he told me with a big smile. "I just put my paperwork in."— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) May 31, 2018
For everyone still reeling in the aftermath of the Darius Bazley withdrawal from Syracuse, find some solace in this. Tyus Battle is returning to the Orange for the 2018-19 season.
After an up-and-down combine performance, mixed signals from his family, and an earlier report that he was likely to remain in the NBA Draft, Jeff Goodman of ESPN reported this afternoon that Battle’s back. Battle later confirmed the report, after initially swelling some fears of a change of heart after he removed his initial Instagram post.
“Although I may have gotten picked by the NBA team of my dreams,” he wrote in a later one. “I feel it is in my best interest at this time to focus on improving some fine points in my game while continuing to work towards achieving my degree.”
I have decided to go back to Syracuse University to complete my junior year. Although I may have gotten picked by the NBA team of my dreams, I feel it is in my best interest at this time to focus on improving some fine points in my game while continuing to work towards achieving my degree. My plan is to re-enter the draft next year. Going back to Syracuse is on many levels an easy decision - that is where I want to be for now. I had some incredible workouts with some amazing NBA organizations. However, the NBA will (God-willing) be in my future chapter. This year it’s all about the CUSE! Shout out to all of the CUSE fans who supported me throughout this process as well as my family, coaches, teammates and Drew Hanlen. #chasingperfection
Members of Battle’s family previously affirmed his desire to get a college degree, after his late grandmother told him to do so. He is enrolled in Syracuse’s information technology school. His plan to enter the 2019 NBA Draft likely means he’ll be able to graduate in three years.
Battle led Cuse to the Sweet Sixteen in his sophomore season, scored 19 points per game, played every minute of essentially every game and avoided foul trouble to assume the role of the Orange’s most reliable option among scrapped-together talent. He even took over at point when Frank Howard fouled out of Cuse’s miraculous upset of Michigan State in March.
Now he’ll join Jalen Carey, Elijiah Hughes, Buddy Boeheim, Howard and eventually Howard Washington in a far deeper back court than a season ago.
Tyus Battle will return to Syracuse, source told ESPN.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) May 30, 2018
His attempt to reach the NBA slowed in momentum as he only met with the Pistons at Chicago’s combine and slid in mock drafts. The consensus as June arrives was that he’d slide into the second round, and therefore receive no guaranteed contract beyond a training camp invite.
The Clippers, Lakers, Nets and Magic also reportedly worked out Battle. With a massive array of guards comprising the middle rankings of this year’s draft, they’ll have no shortage of options beyond Battle.
With Battle possibly back in tow, Syracuse now fills 10 scholarships, with three remaining.