by Duke Hoop
Posted: 11/18/2012 12:00:21 PM
Coming off of a winning effort in their first true test of the season against the defending national champions, the Kentucky Wildcats, the Duke Blue Devils return to the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium on Sunday night. Taking part in the 2012 Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, Duke (2-0) will meet the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (2-1) in an opening game tune-up, prior to the three-day event later this week.
The Blue Devils are looking for their 13th consecutive 3-0 start, as they will face off against the Eagles for the very first time. Florida Gulf Coast has already met a member of the ACC this season, as they knocked off the Miami Hurricanes, 63-51. The Eagles are led by sophomore Bernard Thompson (15.0 ppg) and senior Sherwood Brown (14.3 ppg). Tipoff is set for approximately 8:05 PM ET, televised live on ESPNU/ESPN3/WatchESPN. The game will also be broadcasted on the Blue Devils IMG Sports Network (Sirius-113 and XM-193).
• Duke is ranked No. 9 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll.
• Sunday’s game is part of the Battle 4 Atlantis. Duke has won 19 consecutive regular-season tournament games, dating back to the title game of the 2006 CBE Classic.
• The Blue Devils have won 95 consecutive non-conference home games, matching the longest home non-conference win streak in school history.
• Duke is coming off a 75-68 win over No. 3 Kentucky Tuesday, Nov. 13. Seth Curry led four double-figure scorers with 23 points, including 10 of Duke’s final 15 points in the game.
• Mason Plumlee added 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the field and a 4-of-4 effort from the free throw line. He also had three rebounds, three assists, two blocks and a steal in the win.
• Rasheed Sulaimon and Ryan Kelly also reached double figures in scoring with each player collecting 10 points. Sulaimon added team highs in assists (5) and rebounds (6), while Kelly led the Duke defense with three blocks and three steals.
• Duke, ranked No. 9 as of Nov. 12, has been ranked in the top 10 of the AP Poll for 95 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• The Blue Devils are playing their 179th straight game as a top 10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 148-30 in that span.
• Duke has won 89 consecutive non-conference home games against unranked opponents. The Blue Devils’ last home loss to an unranked non-conference team was Feb. 26, 2000.
• Duke, in its 108th season of basketball in 2012-13, has compiled a 1,973-834 (.703) record to rank fourth all-time in victories.
Duke-Florida Gulf Coast Series
• Sunday’s game marks the first meeting between the two schools.
Duke vs. the Atlantic Sun
• Duke is 12-4 all-time against teams currently in the Atlantic Sun conference, including a 10-1 mark under Mike Krzyzewski.
• The Blue Devils have won nine straight games against teams currently in the A-Sun.
• Six of the Duke wins during the nine-game win streak over A-Sun opponents have been by 10 or more points. The Blue Devils have a +23.7 scoring margin in that span.
Duke Player Statistics
• The Blue Devils have made 19 three-point field goals in the first two games of the season and are shooting 45.2 percent from behind the three-point arc. Five different players (Seth Curry, Rasheed Sulaimon, Tyler Thornton, Quinn Cook and Ryan Kelly) are averaging one or more made three-pointers per game.
• Seniors Seth Curry, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly have accounted for 62.4 percent of Duke’s offensive output through two games. The trio is averaging 46.5 points per game this season.
• Seth Curry (820), Ryan Kelly (671) and Mason Plumlee (806) each have a chance to top the 1,000-point mark for their careers this season.
• Curry has made at least one three-point field goal in 16 straight games. He is 6-of-12 from three-point range on the season and currently ranks fourth in the Duke record books with a .411 three-point field goal percentage (134-of-326). Curry has made three or more three-pointers in both games this season and 26 times in his Duke career. He has made a trey in 62 of his 73 contests at Duke.
• Curry and his older brother Stephen have combined for 4,162 points during their college careers, making them the fourth-highest scoring brother tandem in NCAA history (#1. Tyler and Ben Hansbrough with 4,485 total points).
• Plumlee has shot 50.0 percent or better from the field in each of the past eight games dating back to last season. Plumlee is 42-of-61 (.689) from the field, including 15-of-20 (.750) in the last two games, during that stretch.
• Plumlee currently ranks in the top 10 at Duke in field goal percentage (9th, .565), blocks (5th, 153) and dunks (4th, 134). He also ranks 20th in rebounds (742).
• Plumlee needs 194 points and 258 rebounds to become the third Blue Devil to top 1,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 150 blocks in a career (joining Shelden Williams and Mike Gminski).
• Plumlee is 14 dunks shy of setting the Duke record for career dunks.
• Kelly is 31 three-point field goals shy of joining Danny Ferry as the only Duke players 6-10 or taller to make 100 or more career threes.
• Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon has led the Blue Devils in assists in both games this season and is averaging 4.5 assists per game with a 9.0:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
• The point guard tandem of Tyler Thornton and Quinn Cook is averaging 15.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game this season. The duo is also shooting 50.0 percent from the field, including 6-of-13 from behind arc.
• Duke has recorded an assist on 33 of its 50 field goals (66.0 pct.), while limiting its opposition to 17 assists on 44 field goals (38.6 pct.) this season.
By Chad Lykins
|What is Virginia getting in Austin Nichols?|
|7/31/2015 9:57:54 AM|
|How many wins this year for NC State Football?|
|7/31/2015 6:14:49 AM|
|Multiple Ohio State Suspensions in Labor Day Matchup with Virginia Tech|
|7/30/2015 3:07:08 PM|
|The Preseason Coaches Poll is Out and Thankfully UNC is Not In It|
|7/30/2015 11:35:08 AM|
|Conference Realignment: Could Notre Dame and Texas Be the Long Game for the ACC?|
|7/29/2015 5:36:41 PM|
|Harry Giles To Transfer to Oak Hill Academy|
|7/29/2015 5:27:13 PM|
|ACC Basketball - Previewing the 2015-2016 Season|
|7/29/2015 9:08:50 AM|
|Ranking ACC Athletics for 2014-15 - Where did Syracuse rank?|
|7/29/2015 7:34:44 AM|
|Eli Wright Will Visit Miami Instead of Wake Forest This Weekend|
|7/28/2015 9:41:45 PM|
|Syracuse Football: Senior Ashton Broyld Dismissed From Team|
|7/28/2015 9:04:57 AM|
|SCACCHoops.com Redesign is now LIVE|
|7/28/2015 7:44:07 AM|
|Wake Forest Will Play Indiana in the Maui Invitational|
|7/28/2015 6:10:35 AM|
|Articles from around the ACC Blogosphere 7/27/15|
|7/27/2015 5:38:55 PM|
|Tentative schedule for Louisville basketball's Puerto Rico trip revealed|
|7/27/2015 2:33:42 PM|
|CBS Sports Predicts Wake Forest to Have Second Worst Basketball Team in the ACC|
|7/27/2015 2:32:58 PM|