- CBSSports.com announced its end of season awards which included three Tar Heels. Kendall Marshall was named first team All-America with Tyler Zeller and John Henson receiving third team honors. This All-American team is not one used by UNC in the criteria for honoring jerseys however it is nice to see someone recognizing Marshall’s game.
- UNC players and coaches met with the media today. The only noteworthy item from the press conference being John Henson’s status which is day-to-day with an injured wrist. Roy indicated he would know on Thursday what Henson’s status will be for the first game against the Lamar/Vermont winner.
- In other NCAA Tournament news, Syracuse’s title hopes were dealt a serious blow with starting center Fab Melo being declared ineligible for the duration of the tournament over academic issues. Melo missed three games earlier in the season due to an investigation into his academics and now will likely enter the NBA Draft. For anyone who watched UNC deal with players being held out and declare ineligible all through the 2010 football season can only be slightly amused at Melo being declared ineligible for academics twice in the same season.
- The coaching carousel is beginning to move with multiple coaches being terminated this week including former Tar Heel player and head coach Matt Doherty at SMU. Doherty was in Dallas for six seasons but never got any traction posting only one winning season. In all likelihood Doherty could be done coaching, as least as the head of a program. It is possible he could catch on as an assistant somewhere. Also getting the axe were South Carolina’s Darrin Horn and Tulsa’s Doug Wojick. The coaching changes merit watching since UNC assistant coaches C.B. McGrath and Jerrod Haase could receive consideration for vacant slots.
- UNC’s open practice for the NCAA Tournament will be held at 2:15 PM on Thursday.