by Duke Hoop
Posted: 11/28/2012 4:55:12 PM
With an impressive showing at the 2012 Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, culminating in their sixth straight regular season championship, the Duke Blue Devils return to the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium for an ACC/B10 Challenge showdown.
After a rout in last year’s ACC/B10 Challenge at the hands of Ohio State in Columbus, the Blue Devils seek to avenge their 22-point drubbing a year later as they will host the Buckeyes on Wednesday night. Duke (6-0) will enter ranked No. 2 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, while Ohio State (4-0) is ranked No. 4 in both polls. Wednesday’s premier matchup will be televised live on ESPN/ESPN3/WatchESPN with the tip set for approximately 9:35 PM ET. The game will also be broadcasted on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network (Sirius/XM – 91).
• Duke is ranked No. 2 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Ohio State is ranked No. 4 in both polls.
• Duke has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 97 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• Duke won the Battle 4 Atlantis Championship last week after defeating Minnesota, VCU and No. 2 Louisville. Quinn Cook was named MVP of the tournament and Mason Plumlee earned all-tournament honors. The tournament championship gave Duke 23 consecutive regular-season tournament wins.
• Duke has won 100 games since the start of the 2009-10 season, the fourth-most in the NCAA over that span.
• Wednesday’s game marks Duke’s third matchup against a top 5 opponent this season. The Blue Devils topped No. 3 Kentucky (75-68) and No. 2 Louisville (76-71) earlier this season.
• Duke has already defeated two top-five opponents this season, marking the 16th time in school history that the Blue Devils have accomplished that feat. Duke last beat two top-five teams during the 2004-05 season, defeating No. 2 North Carolina and No. 5 Wake Forest.
• Duke has defeated three top-five teams just four times in school history, the last time coming in 1998-99 when the Blue Devils knocked off No. 3 Kentucky, No. 4 Maryland and No. 2 Michigan State.
• Duke has won 8 of its last 11 meetings against top 10 ranked opponents.
• The Blue Devils are playing their 183rd straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 152-30 in that span.
• Duke has won 55 of its last 57 games in the month of November dating back to the start of the 2004-05 season. One of their two losses came last season to Ohio State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
• Duke is 110-16 all-time when ranked No. 2 in the country. The Blue Devils have won four straight games when holding the second spot in the AP poll.
• Since the 1997-98 season, Duke is 62-6 when ranked No. 2 in the country. Their average margin of victory is 19 points per game.
• During that span, Duke is 10-1 against top-10 ranked teams while ranked No. 2 in the country. They are 5-1 against the top-five.
• Duke has won 226 of its last 229 non-conference games at home.
• The Blue Devils have won 235 of their last 253 games in Cameron.
• Out of Duke’s six games (all wins) played this season, they have played four teams ranked inside the top-20 in the Ken Pomeroy rankings. Two ranked inside the top-10 (No. 5 Louisville, No. 9 Kentucky).
• Through Ohio State’s four games (all wins), they have only met one school ranked inside the top-100 (No. 83 Washington) in the Ken Pomeroy rankings. Their other three games have came against teams ranked 190th and below (No. 190 Albany, No. 237 Rhode Island and No. 308 Missouri Kansas City).
• Duke and Ohio State are tied 3-3 in the all-time series. Ohio State won the last meeting, 85-63, in Columbus during the 2011 ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Duke’s last win over the Buckeyes came on Dec. 3, 2002, a 91-76 win at the Greensboro Coliseum.
• Coach K is 1-1 against Ohio State during his tenure at Duke.
• Dating back to the 1963-64 season, Duke is 3-2 vs. Ohio State when ranked inside the top-five.
• Duke is 11-2 all-time in the ACC/B10 Challenge and leads all teams in wins and winning percentage.
• The Blue Devils are 4-0 when playing ACC/B10 Challenge games in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Ohio State is participating in the ACC/B10 Challenge for the 11th-consecutive year and has a 5-5 record in the event.
• The Buckeyes are currently on a four game winning streak in the ACC/B10 Challenge.
• Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 91.1 percent of the team’s total scoring this season with 427 of Duke’s 469 points through six games, which is the highest in the nation. The starters have scored 224 of Duke’s 232 points over the last three games.
• Duke’s starters have scored no less than 61 points in any game this season, including a season-high 87 in an 89-71 win over Minnesota.
• Mason Plumlee has shot 50.0 percent or better from the field in each of the past 12 games dating back to last season. Plumlee is 68-of-102 (.667) from the field, including 41-of-61 (.672) this season.
• Plumlee is shooting 80.0 percent from the charity stripe, while taking 7.5 free throw attempts per game. He entered the season shooting 50.5 percent from the free throw line in his career.
• Plumlee and Seth Curry combine to average 36.7 points per game. Both players have reached double-figures in scoring in all six games, while also topping the 20-point mark two times apiece.
• Quinn Cook entered the starting lineup prior to the Florida Gulf Coast game and has responded by averaging 12.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 7.0 assists over the last four contests. Cook was named ACC Co-Player of the Week and Battle 4 Atlantis MVP after guiding Duke to wins over Minnesota, VCU and No. 2 Louisville last week.
• Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon has scored in double-figures in five straight games and is the third-leading freshman scorer in the ACC at 12.0 ppg.
• Duke is 96-13 (.881) with Ryan Kelly in the lineup. He currently ranks fourth at Duke in career winning percentage.
• Ohio State ranks No. 1 in 3-point field goal percentage among the 345 Division I institutions participating in men’s basketball. Ohio State has made 32-67 treys on the season (48 percent).
• Junior Deshaun Thomas is sixth in the country in scoring with 24.0 ppg. Thomas tallied 15.9 points per game as a sophomore.
• Thomas scored a career-high 31 points against Washington and tallied 25 vs. Rhode Island to average 28.0 points per game over two contests at the Basketball Hall of Fame Tipoff.
• Thomas needs just seven points (993) to join the 1,000 point-club at Ohio State.
• Classmate Aaron Craft averages 14.3 points a game, up from 8.8 a season ago. Craft is No. 5 in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio at +7.0.
• Craft is closing in on the Ohio State all-time steals record with 177 to date, good for No. 3 all-time in Ohio State history. David Lighty (2007-11) is No. 2 with 191. Jay Burson (1986-89) is Ohio State’s career leader with 204.
• Fellow junior Lenzelle Smith Jr. is averaging 11.5 points per game this season. He has made 8 of 13 treys (.615) this season, 39 percent for his career (40-of-103).
• Off the bench, Shannon Scott is shooting 60 percent from the field this year (13-22) for an average of 7.3 ppg. as a sophomore. He managed 1.2 ppg. as a rookie on 28 pct. shooting (20-71).
• Scott is No. 16 in the country in assist-to-turnover ratio at +5.0.
|Articles from around the ACC Blogosphere 8/3/15|
|8/4/2015 6:20:04 AM|
|Wake Forest Suspends Ryan Anderson and Thomas Brown|
|8/4/2015 6:19:30 AM|
|Pitt: Tyler Boyd and Rori Blair suspended for Youngstown State opener|
|8/4/2015 6:19:00 AM|
|UNC: Fedora and Players Talk First Day of Practice|
|8/4/2015 6:18:33 AM|
|Is Syracuse Really Talking to Wisconsin About a Football Series?|
|8/3/2015 1:52:28 PM|
|Simmons Reinstated Just in Time To Attend UNC Practice and Miss His Court Date|
|8/3/2015 1:34:54 PM|
|Big Ten Schools Will No Longer Schedule FCS Teams, Will The ACC Follow?|
|8/3/2015 11:44:32 AM|
|UNC Football Opens Training Camp|
|8/3/2015 11:43:48 AM|
|ACC Fantasy Football 2015 - Redesign Edition|
|8/3/2015 7:09:59 AM|
|Eli Wright Schedules New Wake Forest Official Visit Date|
|8/2/2015 8:33:50 PM|
|ACC Mailbag: Is Pittsburgh being underrated in the Coastal?|
|8/2/2015 4:38:31 PM|
|Best and Worst case record for Georgia Tech football in 2015|
|8/1/2015 5:23:35 PM|
|What is Virginia getting in Austin Nichols?|
|7/31/2015 9:57:54 AM|
|How many wins this year for NC State Football?|
|7/31/2015 6:14:49 AM|
|Multiple Ohio State Suspensions in Labor Day Matchup with Virginia Tech|
|7/30/2015 3:07:08 PM|