Here are some quick hitters as I check the standings after the ACC’s first full week of action.
- No surprise here. The Blue Devils have started strong winning three relatively close games even though Duke was in control for most of each game.
- It’s nice to have so many players who can score (Mason Plumlee, Kelly, Dawkins, Curry, Rivers), but it sure would be nice for them to develop a dominant scorer they can count on from game to game. Unless a go-to scorer develops, the Dookies are looking at a nice regular season, a possible ACC tourney title and a sweet 16 exit. A nice season for 95% of the teams in the country, but I suspect not quite what the Duke fans want.
TEAMS WITH WINNING RECORDS
- The Tar Heels sure know how to lose in spectacular fashion. At least they didn’t have to exert too much energy in losing to FSU by 30+. They only play once in over a 12 day span, and they don’t really get tested again until back to back home games against the other two ranked teams in the conference, Duke and UVA.
- Carolina fans shouldn’t be worried. As long as Carolina finishes with 3 or less losses in conference and makes the ACC tourney final, they will get a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tourney.
- Maryland has won the games they’re supposed to and lost their only conference game in a close one on the road to the Wolfpack. Maryland is the only ACC team who’s conference schedule can help them when it comes to tournament time. They are the only team to play Duke, UNC, and UVA twice, so an above .500 conference record should get the Terps into the NCAA tourney.
- The Terps have been impressive to start conference play. They have a strong front line, some senior leadership in do everything guard, Sean Mosley, and with Terrell Stoglin’s scoring, they always will be within striking distance.
- NC State is such a tough team to figure out. The loss to Georgia Tech this past week was an absolute killer. Before that game, they could claim that all their previous losses were reasonable (three to teams either then or currently ranked and a 4 point road loss on the West Coast to Stanford). They only play Duke and UVA once so they simply can’t afford any more bad losses.
- We’ll really see what this Wolfpack team is made of starting next weekend. After what should be a home win against BC, they play at Miami, at UNC, and against UVA. If they come out of that stretch 5-2, then I’ll believe in the fight of the Wolfpack.
- That win over North Carolina saved the season for Florida State. After a terrible opening loss to Clemson, the Seminoles showed that they can beat any team in the country, especially at home.
- Where have you been Deividas Dulkys? Dulkys jumped from the team’s 9th leading scorer to 5th, he hit a third of his season’s worth of three pointers, and he got a picture with Dick Vitale. It all measured up to the best Saturday since Frank the Tank hit Bed Bath and Beyond.
- Raise your hand if you thought Boston College would win two conference games all season…hands down Steve Donahue’s mom. BC took advantage of an Erick Green-less Virginia Tech to go above .500 in conference play. I hope they enjoy every minute, because it likely won’t happen again after their next game on Wednesday.
- Although BC will remain terrible this season, they are a fun team root for. Five freshman play significant minutes for them. It’s fun to watch a team grow and follow a young core get better over the next couple of years.
STAY TUNED FOR PART 2 COMING LATER TODAY AS I BREAK DOWN ALL THE TEAMS AT .500 AND BELOW.
This article was originally published at http://ACCHoops.SquareSpace.com. If you are interested in sharing your website's content with SCACCHoops.com, Contact Us.