Posted: 10/21/2011 6:27:12 AM
I know I know… one game at a time, the Tigers haven’t even won the ACC yet, and technically not even the Atlantic division, but where’s the fun in that? How often in the last half-dozen years has an ACC team entered the 3rd week in October with a legitimate possibility to reach the National Title Game. Boston College got as high as #2 during the first week of November in 2008. Virginia Tech was #3 before a November loss in 2005 to Miami, but I can’t recall any others.
There haven’t been many other shots at the Title Game recently for an ACC team, until this year, with the Clemson Tigers. The chances are pretty slim. Clemson sits 7th in the BCS standings, but I’m saying there’s a chance. The Tigers still need a good bit of help though. What must happen?
1) Clemson must run the table. No if and or buts about that. There will be prime time game with Georgia Tech, and a high profile game with South Carolina, plus the ACCCG against likely either a re-match with a highly ranked Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech team.
2) The loser of Oklahoma Oklahoma St will fall behind Clemson, but not necessarily the loser of the LSU Alabama game. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that Clemson moves ahead of the losers of these games.
3) Boise St. will likely get passed by an undefeated Clemson team. We’ve got Clemson in 4th at this point.
4) A Stanford loss somewhere wouldn’t hurt. That removes any chance from the Cardinals leap frogging Clemson.
5) Wisconsin still has three more ranked teams to play plus at Ohio State. One loss and the Tigers move past them.
6) …then Tigers still need the winners of the Oklahoma Oklahoma St., and LSU Alabama to lose somewhere along the line. I’m assuming Kansas St. doesn’t go undefeated as well. The Wildcats are behind Clemson, at 11 but with games upcoming with Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. they could move up in a hurry.
It’s a longshot, but if the Tigers win out the BCS usually works itself out. ( sarcastic eye roll )
|Ranking the College Football Playoff chances of each of the Power 5 Conferences|
|9/1/2015 8:44:51 PM|
|Frank Jackson Commits to Duke|
|9/1/2015 8:42:43 PM|
|Former UNC QB Joins Basketball Team|
|9/1/2015 3:19:03 PM|
|UNC Opponent Preview: South Carolina|
|9/1/2015 1:27:25 PM|
|10 Must Watch ACC Football Games|
|9/1/2015 11:27:49 AM|
|Syracuse & Georgetown Officially Begin Four-Year Series on December 5|
|9/1/2015 6:28:47 AM|
|2015 Virginia Football Preview: Defense|
|9/1/2015 6:10:43 AM|
|Syracuse Legend Pearl Washington Reportedly Has Malignant Brain Tumor|
|9/1/2015 6:10:16 AM|
|Articles Around the ACC Blogosphere - 8/31/2015|
|8/31/2015 8:00:57 PM|
|Frank Jackson Ready to End His Recruitment|
|8/31/2015 1:52:09 PM|
|UNC Football Releases Depth Chart|
|8/31/2015 11:54:53 AM|
|Louisville begins Auburn week as a double-digit underdog|
|8/31/2015 11:01:20 AM|
|At First Glance: Pitt vs. Youngstown State Preview|
|8/31/2015 9:51:46 AM|
|Report: Miami RB Gus Edwards done for the season|
|8/31/2015 7:43:37 AM|
|JuCo PG Jonathan Milligan headed to Pitt, per report|
|8/30/2015 11:13:39 AM|