Posted: 10/21/2011 6:27:12 AM
I know I know… one game at a time, the Tigers haven’t even won the ACC yet, and technically not even the Atlantic division, but where’s the fun in that? How often in the last half-dozen years has an ACC team entered the 3rd week in October with a legitimate possibility to reach the National Title Game. Boston College got as high as #2 during the first week of November in 2008. Virginia Tech was #3 before a November loss in 2005 to Miami, but I can’t recall any others.
There haven’t been many other shots at the Title Game recently for an ACC team, until this year, with the Clemson Tigers. The chances are pretty slim. Clemson sits 7th in the BCS standings, but I’m saying there’s a chance. The Tigers still need a good bit of help though. What must happen?
1) Clemson must run the table. No if and or buts about that. There will be prime time game with Georgia Tech, and a high profile game with South Carolina, plus the ACCCG against likely either a re-match with a highly ranked Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech team.
2) The loser of Oklahoma Oklahoma St will fall behind Clemson, but not necessarily the loser of the LSU Alabama game. Let’s assume for the sake of argument that Clemson moves ahead of the losers of these games.
3) Boise St. will likely get passed by an undefeated Clemson team. We’ve got Clemson in 4th at this point.
4) A Stanford loss somewhere wouldn’t hurt. That removes any chance from the Cardinals leap frogging Clemson.
5) Wisconsin still has three more ranked teams to play plus at Ohio State. One loss and the Tigers move past them.
6) …then Tigers still need the winners of the Oklahoma Oklahoma St., and LSU Alabama to lose somewhere along the line. I’m assuming Kansas St. doesn’t go undefeated as well. The Wildcats are behind Clemson, at 11 but with games upcoming with Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. they could move up in a hurry.
It’s a longshot, but if the Tigers win out the BCS usually works itself out. ( sarcastic eye roll )
|ACC Football: What Did We Learn in Week 5?|
|10/6/2015 6:24:41 PM|
|Louisville campus police investigating prostitute's claims|
|10/6/2015 6:23:49 PM|
|Projecting ACC Football Standings With Advanced Stats: Week 6|
|10/6/2015 3:24:41 PM|
|Expect elevated levels of Boeheim crankiness this season|
|10/6/2015 10:17:29 AM|
|Pitt cannot afford letdown against Virginia|
|10/6/2015 8:34:58 AM|
|Keys to Victory as Syracuse goes on the road to USF|
|10/6/2015 8:32:39 AM|
|Montrezl Harrell denies any involvement in Louisville basketball scandal|
|10/6/2015 6:22:22 AM|
|UNC Report Card: Georgia Tech|
|10/6/2015 6:19:33 AM|
|ACC Basketball Notes 10/5/2015 - Practice Begins|
|10/5/2015 2:39:52 PM|
|Louisville basketball scandal: Everything we know to this point|
|10/5/2015 12:43:30 PM|
|Tigers and Tar Heels Pace ACC Football Player Honors for Week 5|
|10/5/2015 11:52:58 AM|
|Clemson answered the call for ACC Football with win over Notre Dame|
|10/4/2015 7:32:38 PM|
|Ranking the Power 5 Football Conferences after week 5|
|10/4/2015 7:31:38 PM|
|Clemson holds on late, beats Notre Dame 24-22|
|10/4/2015 7:35:32 AM|
|UNC defeats Georgia Tech 38-31 after trailing big early|
|10/3/2015 8:57:19 PM|