by Duke Hoop
Posted: 12/19/2012 2:12:45 PM
There’s a new No. 1 team in the land this week and it’s the Duke Blue Devils. Following the Indiana Hoosiers first loss of the season to the Butler Bulldogs this past Saturday, the Blue Devils were placed into the top spot for the 11th time in the past 16 seasons.
On Wednesday night, Duke (9-0) will return to the court after a 10-day break following their victory over the previously unbeaten Temple Owls, 90-67, on December 8. Led by the senior trio of Seth Curry, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly, the Blue Devils hot start continued. Curry paced Duke with 23 points while Plumlee (16 points and 14 rebounds) and Kelly (14 points and 10 rebounds) finished with double-doubles respectively.
The opposition standing in their way: Cornell Big Red. Cornell (4-6) will enter Wednesday’s game coming off of their sixth loss of the season to the Vanderbilt Commodores on Monday. They are led by sophomore Shonn Miller, who leads the team in both scoring and rebounding with 10.3 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Miller is the only player for Cornell to average double digits in scoring and over five rebounds per game.
Duke and Cornell will be televised on ESPNU with the tip-off set for approximately 7:02 PM ET. The game will also be broadcast on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network (Sirius – 134, XM – 193).
By The Numbers
• The Blue Devils are ranked No. 1 in both the AP Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke has been ranked No. 1 in 11 of the past 16 seasons.
• Duke has been ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll 123 weeks overall, including 105 weeks under Mike Krzyzewski.
• Duke is 207-31 all-time when ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll. Krzyzewski is second in NCAA history with with 183 wins and 209 games at the helm of the top-ranked team in the AP Poll.
• Duke has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 100 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• Under Coach K, Duke has played more games as a No. 1 team (209 entering Wednesday’s contest) than it has as an unranked team (141).
• Duke has been ranked No. 1 in either the AP or Coaches Polls in 18 of the past 28 seasons.
• The Blue Devils are playing their 186th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 155-30 in that span.
• Duke is 9-0 on the year and looking to open the season with 10 straight wins for the 14th time under Coach K.
• The Blue Devils are seeking the 40th 10-game win streak in program history. Coach K-led teams have won 10 or more consecutive games in a season 25 times at Duke.
• Duke has won an NCAA-best 98 straight non-conference home games. The last home loss against a non-conference opponent for the Blue Devils was Feb. 26, 2000 against St. John’s, 83-82.
• The Blue Devils have won 45 of their last 50 non-conference contests. Duke is 77-9 in non-league games since the start of the 2008-09 season.
• Duke has won 17 straight games in the month of December with 13 of the victories coming by 20 or more points.
• Duke and Cornell have met four previous times with the first meeting between the two schools coming on Nov. 30, 1974.
• The Blue Devils lead the all-time series, 4-0, including a 3-0 mark under Mike Krzyzewski. All four games in the series have been played at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Duke has won three of the four games in the series by 25 or more points. The Blue Devils have a +28.3 margin of victory in the series.
• Duke won the last meeting, 81-67, on Jan. 6, 2008 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Duke vs. the Ivy League
• Duke is 50-9 all-time against Ivy League teams.
• Mike Krzyzewski is 23-1 at Duke against the Ivy League.
• Duke and Coach K have won 23 consecutive games against Ivy League opponents dating back to a 72-55 decision against Princeton on Dec. 12, 1981.
Duke Player Statistics
• Duke’s starting lineup has accounted for 87.8 percent of the team’s total scoring this season with 632 of Duke’s 720 points through eight games. The starters have accounted for 38 of Duke’s 40 double-figures scoring games on the year.
• All five Duke starters have scored in double ?gures twice this season, while at least four have scored 10 or more points six times.
• Duke is averaging 89.0 points per game, while shooting 50.0 percent from the field in the month of December. The Blue Devils have assisted on 42 of their 63 field goals this month.
• Mason Plumlee is the only player in the NCAA averaging over 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game. He is tied for 38th in scoring (19.2 ppg.) and ranks sixth in rebounds (11.3 rpg.).
• Plumlee has scored 16 or more points in all nine games this season and ranks second in the ACC in scoring (19.1 ppg.). He also leads the league in rebounding (11.3 rpg.). Plumlee is attempting to become just the third player in ACC history (joining Ralph Sampson and Tim Duncan) to average 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
• Quinn Cook is averaging 11.9 points, 3.7 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game since joining the starting lineup seven games ago. He has four double-figure scoring games and five games with five or more assists in that span.
• Ryan Kelly is averaging 15.3 points and 5.5 rebounds over the last four games. He is also 6-of-12 from three-point range and 15-of-18 from the free throw line during that stretch.
• Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon has provided a consistent scoring presence for Duke in his first season. He is tied for 20th in the ACC with 12.3 points per game and has scored in double figures seven times.
By Chad Lykins
|Clemson holds on late, beats Notre Dame 24-22|
|10/4/2015 7:35:32 AM|
|UNC defeats Georgia Tech 38-31 after trailing big early|
|10/3/2015 8:57:19 PM|
|Florida State Defeats Wake Forest 24-16|
|10/3/2015 6:36:49 PM|
|Pitt defense leads team to 17-13 win against Virginia Tech|
|10/3/2015 5:59:40 PM|
|If You Say Clemsoning, You Probably Still Use a Black And White TV|
|10/3/2015 2:16:57 PM|
|How Did Day One of Syracuse Basketball Practice Go?|
|10/3/2015 2:15:54 PM|
|Saturday's ACC Football Schedule, TV, Start Time, Live Stats - Week 5|
|10/3/2015 8:46:19 AM|
|Game Preview: UNC vs Georgia Tech|
|10/3/2015 7:41:30 AM|
|Game Preview: Florida State vs Wake Forest|
|10/3/2015 7:12:20 AM|
|Pitt vs. Virginia Tech: TV, Radio, Schedule, Odds, Time, and Game Information|
|10/3/2015 7:11:41 AM|
|Louisville releases statement in response to book allegations|
|10/2/2015 4:23:46 PM|
|Heels Open Basketball Practice|
|10/2/2015 4:09:31 PM|
|UVA Mailbag: Will Jack Salt contribute? Does UVA need the 'one and done'?|
|10/2/2015 3:25:53 PM|
|Syracuse Basketball: Coffee Talk With Trevor Cooney|
|10/2/2015 12:40:57 PM|
|Miami lets down the ACC in 34-23 loss to Cincinnati|
|10/2/2015 6:44:31 AM|